Friday 5 June 2009

Tester Locks

SL's are still relatively uncommon in the UK and I wanted to find out as much as I could before I took the plunge. My obsessive personality meant that I had to find the best SL/microbraider in the UK, conduct a one hour telephone interview, award them marks out of 10 and then sleep on it for several weeks before coming to a final decision.

Well it didn't quite come to that because I found a great locktician in Marie of Cammalocks. As soon as I spoke to her on the phone I knew she was THE ONE. It's a 2 hour drive but it was well worth the trip for my initial consultation. She is personable, patient, honest and beautiful. She has the most beautifully long and cultured microlocks that I have ever seen and I instantly knew that she would be the person I wanted to do my installation. Her grids are sheer perfection and her work is flawless. She patiently answered everyone of my questions.

The following information might be useful so here goes. Before my consultation I had no idea about my natural hair. Let's face it, it was hidden beneath horsehair for the majority of my life.Before that I'd permed it to infinity and beyond.

My hair is jet black and soft. It is what Jamaican elders call 'good hair'. I have no idea what 'grade' it is. It's wavy and shrinks mercilessly when wet. Look at the before and after pics below. Ignore the face!! I just cannot believe that I took pictures of me looking like this. But I did it for humanity. That and shameless self-promotion.



I was trying so hard not to laugh out loud when taking this picture




Marie informs me that my hair type will take about a year or more to lock. A year? You gotta be kidding right? No. It's definitely a year and this means that until it does lock she will have to handle my retightenings. I think I'd better get a second job right now. Taxi anyone?

My natural texture







Anyhoo, Marie has installed 6 tester locks of various sizes and techniques. The differences between them only being visible to those possessing superhuman powers of detection.

Week One and tester locks










Marie explained the braiding and branding formula for washing. I held out as long as I could because I hate washing my hair. I did really well 'cos I washed my hair in week three of having the testers installed. Despite the shrinkage my lockettes held up extremely well and didn't seem to shrink at all.


Washing: Braiding and Banding

Minimal shrinkage



So now all I have to do is sit and wait. I might not have explained before but I am the most impatient person in the UK - no, the world. I will have my locks installed at the end of June. That will have been a 9 week wait. Nine weeks! Empires have been built and destroyed in less time. Who'd have thunk it, but I can hardly wait for the 'plucked chicken' look. But no. That's not the attitude. Everyone knows that good things come to those who wait and wait and wait and Marie is certainly worth waiting for. Until then I am still intrigued by these stringy things. They don't seem to have plumped up yet and I've had them for 5 weeks now.

Until then my new found friends. Adios. See you at the end of June. Y'all take care now.

2 comments:

Evie said...

I am so glad to have found your blog! I've been wanting to go natural for years, and as life would have it, I finished chemo on 12/31/08 and the decision was pretty much made for me. No need to fear the Big Chop...how about the Big 'C'? So after being left bald, I have decided no more chemicals for me! Internally or externally!

I plan to get my Sisterlocs in September for my birthday. on my last birthday, I was in the hospital for a double mastectomy...but I digress! This will be a celebration of ME!

I will be following your blog and your hair progress. By the way, your hair is beautiful! Keep the posts and pics coming. It's encouraging to see the progress along the way.

Evie

Britlocs said...

Evie
Well done. You're a survivor. Isn't it great to be alive and well? I look forward to hearing more about you and to follow your amazing journey to sisterlocks and self discovery. Thank you for your comments.